XR is an umbrella term for the following:
- VR (Virtual Reality) – The use of Head-Mounted displays to immerse users into a virtual environment.
- AR (Augmented Reality) – Phone or tablet based are more widespread, although headsets do exist. They overlay content onto the physical world (like Snapchat,) but are not strict on changes in the physical world.
- MR (Mixed Reality) – Headset-based that integrate the graphics of the virtual world into the physical world. This XR takes into account the physical environment.
All these Extended Realities blend the physical world with degrees of virtuality. The potential for XR to change the way music is consumed and created is limitless:
- Listening to music in the comfort of your own home in a totally new immersive way
- Experiencing intense concert environments
- Virtual recording studios
VR (Virtual Reality) Experience
Here is an example of a simple VR experience
lets stand on a Lego stage!